Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Finding Time To Quiet The Mind - Day Eight Blog Challenge


Today, I got a wave of inspiration to start sitting and meditating on a daily basis.  It came through my morning check in on Facebook (FB). 

I enjoy and appreciate FB so much.  I can't imagine what my life would be without it.  This blog challenge for example.  It's existence was birthed within the FB community of Learn to Blog and the way the participants connect with each other is through our private FB group.  Additionally, FB is a wonderful source of uplifting material that helps me in my soul growth; along with being a super source of late breaking news.

Today's blog entry here is inspired by a FB video I watched this morning.

Kyle Cease posted a video, sharing his thoughts as he moves through his 100 Day Self Connection Experiment.  This experiment of his includes up to 2 hours of meditation a day, using this time to quiet down and witness the slowing of his mind chatter.  The video vlogs he is doing daily are his way to track and share how this experiment goes for him.  I'm so receptive to this venue as an excellent learning medium, as first hand reporting in the trenches feels so raw and real.  I find it so inspiring!   Kyle Cease Day 14

Kyle observes how doing the 'inner work' helps build up resilience so to handle the bigger stuff that comes at us in life.  This insight alone could be enough to get me to immediately carve out two hours a day to meditate.  Oh, how I would love that.  At this stage though, it is still a whim in my mind.  An interesting idea, a gleam on my To Do list.  Just enough of a desire to wish I would, but not a strong enough commitment to figure out how I could find 2 hours in a day to meditate.  

So many things like this I have on my I Wish I Would Do Now List.  At least Kyle's videos will offer me an opportunity to bring my desire to meditate more fully forward into my conscious mind.  We apparently can only add in a few new habits at one time, or so current brain science says; at least at this stage of our evolution.

This is a good time to come back to Kaizen and ask what super small step could I take towards introducing back into my life a sitting meditation practice.  If you've seen an earlier post of mine, I wrote some on the power of taking small steps so not to activate the fear trigger.  Day 2   

So far today I've taken two steps towards my meditation desire.  First, watching Kyle's video and second, writing this blog post and voicing my desire to bring 'quiet time as a regular practice' into my daily life.  Okay, that's good.  Let me invite this achievement to settle in and may I rest with it before moving on to a next step.  

This reminds me of the 3 prong 'Risk, Win, Rest' sequence.  Many years ago someone gave me a palmistry reading, and in my hands they could see my tendency to cycle through taking a risk, winning and then moving right into the next risk and win activity.  Never really taking time to rest with each achievement.  A sure recipe for eventual burn out.

Living a path with heart most definitely includes the rest cycle for each time I stretch, challenge and achieve something new for my life.  Do you have a rest cycle? 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment